Real estate for sale - Country houses
Great historical abbey from the 11th century in the hills of Chianti
The historical origins of the abbey for sale are lost in prehistory, but historians agree that the abbey was founded in 1040. Like other large monastic estates, the abbey was subjugated by the Republic of Florence in 1455, but was able to regain its natural role as a centre of power in the following two centuries. In the 16th and 17th centuries the entire complex was renovated and enlarged. After the last monks left the monastery in 1930, the abbey was auctioned and became the property of a noble family. The abbey (approx. 5,000 m²) extends over three levels (ground floor, first floor and cellar), the predominant materials are natural stone, terracotta and wood. There are two courtyards, one of which has a stone fountain with the abbey's coat of arms and a loggia on two of the four sides. Worth mentioning are the huge stables in the basement, the large salon leading to a splendid garden, the church, which was bombed during the Second World War and partially rebuilt in 1945. Part of the complex are two farmhouses (approx. 1,000 m²). The complex is surrounded by its own approx. 100 hectares of woodland. The buildings are to be restored from the scratch.